Need Support?

People who suffer with depression often try to hide the symptoms from close family and friends and it is vital to recognise the early signs. There are a wide variety of organisations that can help people with depression, as well as their family and friends.

The Matthew Elvidge Trust (TMET) can't provide advice about personal situations. However,if you, or anyone you know, is feeling depressed, it is most important that you seek professional help quickly. We have listed below a number of organisations, who are able to provide help and support, but their services are intended to supplement and not replace professional advice through your GP and other services provided by the National Health Service.

The Matthew Elvidge Trust (TMET) doesn't recommend or endorse any particular organisation and can't guarantee that the organisation will have a solution to your particular problem; however, we do hope that they will be able to provide the right support for your situation.


The Counselling Directory

Tel: 0844 8030 240   between 9am and 5pm Monday and Friday

The Counselling Directory only lists counsellors and psychotherapists who are registered with a recognised professional body or those who have sent us copies of their qualifications and insurance cover.

The UK Council of Psychotherapy

Tel: 020 7014 9955

The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a membership organisation, with over 75 training and listing organisations, and over 6,600 individual practitioners. UKCP holds the national register of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors, listing those practitioner members who meet exacting standards and training requirements.

The British Association of Psychotherapists

Tel: 0208 452 9823

The British Association of Psychotherapists is one of the longest established and largest independent providers of Jungian analytic and psychoanalytic psychotherapy for adults and children in the UK. Its members work in the NHS, the corporate and voluntary sectors and as private practitioners. Ithas been training Psychoanalytic and Jungian psychotherapists for 60 years.

The British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psycotherapists

Tel: 0161 705 4304

The British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)is a multi-disciplinary interest group for people involved in the practice and theory of behavioural and cognitive psychotherapy.

The Association of Child Psychologists


The Association of Child Psychologists aims:

  • To link parents with child psychologists, who work in private practice and can offer the skills they are looking for
  • To link other client groups such as solicitors, voluntary organisations, schools, etc. with the child psychology specialist they need
  • To provide a network and support group for child psychologists working in private practice

British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)

The British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy website 'itsgoodtotalk' can help you to find a suitable therapist. It  has a comprehensive directory of counsellors, who are registered with the BACP or another recognised professional body, ensuring each therapist is practising at a high and ethical standard. The site also offers useful contacts for further guidance.


Refer Self, Counselling and Psychotherapy Practice

The Refer Self, Counselling and Psychology Practice (RSCPP) Website offers different types of mental health practitioners - psychologists, counsellors and psychotherapists, so everyone who needs help can easily fund appropritae support.
It only includes practitioners who are qualified members of professional bodies.
Please read more about Refer Self, Counselling and Pscychotherapy Practice (RSCPP).

Private Counselling, London

Private Counselling London offers a network of counsellling and psychotherapy services at multiple destinations in Central London and surrounding areas. They offer counselling for a wide variety of problems including anxiety, depression, grief and loss.
Please read more on their website here:

Relate - the relationship people

Call: 0300 100 1234 (Open Mon - Thurs 8am to 10pm; Friday 8am to 6pm; Saturday 9am to 5pm)
Relate is the UK's largest provider of relationship support and every year it helps over one million people of all ages, backgrounds and sexual orientations to strengthen relationships.
They provide counselling over the phone, live chat or face to face support.
Please find out more here: Relate - the relationship people

Tel: 0208 969 7888
Website: is a website devoted to helping you get better in mind and body by connecting with the best people for you. It has a wide range of information and advice on all aspects of health and wellbeing and provides an innnovative therapist directory of professional mind and body practitioners from across the UK.

The warning signs of depression:

  • Changes in mood

    Changes in mood

  • Feelings of hopelessness and pessimism

    Feelings of hopelessness and pessimism

  • Difficulty in making decisions

    Difficulty in making decisions

  • Irregular Sleep

    Irregular Sleep

  • Decreased Energy

    Decreased Energy

  • Tearfulness


  • Feelings of guilt and worthlessness

    Feelings of guilt and worthlessness

  • Restlessness


  • Thoughts of death or suicide

    Thoughts of death or suicide

  • Appetite and weight loss

    Appetite and weight loss

  • Persistent sad, anxious or empty mood

    Persistent sad, anxious or empty mood

  • Insomnia


Images used by kind permission of The Charlie Waller Memorial Trust